Share this

Dec 1, 2008

Dalai bet

With the Dalai Lama ignoring China and expressing interest in coming to Taiwan next year, how much do you want to bet that politically-related complications will prevent his trip? How much do you want to bet that the KMT will actually reject his visa application, if it comes to that? I think Ma & Co. would rather reject his visit than piss off the Chinese at that time.

Between Chen "Giant Ham" Shui-bian and Ma "Roll Over and Hope They Don't Rip Your Entrails Out " Ying-jeou, I'm thinking I need a mental health break from news and politics.

Naturally, I'm not helped out when Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) claims Maokong Gondala structural problems have nothing to do with the previous mayor who ordered the construction without an environmental assessment (for fear the DPP might actually reject it for "political reasons," of course).

5 comments:

Dezhong said...

I am thinking so, too. Especially after what just happend last week.

阿牛 said...

That's fair enough! I see a sad, ironic twist when the Daliai can't come to what he praises as the "highly democratic Taiwan" because of Taiwan's efforts to please Beijing.

Unknown said...

oy. i can see what you are saying to happen.

Dezhong said...

I guess you have already read it, but I found this one in today's Taipei Times (first paragraph):

"A visit to Taiwan by the Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, would be politically sensitive, and would be left to the country’s security agencies to decide, said Kao Su-po (高思博) [the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs Commission Chairman]. “The commission attaches great importance to the Dalai Lama’s possible visit, given his high profile in the international community,” Kao said. But in view of China’s concerns wherever he goes, “[choosing] the appropriate time for the visit and arranging his meetings with political heavyweights in Taiwan would be an issue that requires careful thought,” Kao said.


My translation: No way will he set a foot on Taiwanese soil anytime in the near future.

阿牛 said...

I hadn't seen it, but I agree with your translation.