Share this

Jan 28, 2008

DPP plans suit against election system

The DPP is planning to ask for a constitutional review of the fairness of the new election system, saying the fact that the DPP is so fundamentally underrepresented that the system is by nature unfair.

Considering that the DPP initiated the changes, and that the unfairness has to do more with temporal political realities rather than fundamental structural issues, I don't see how the court could ever rule that the system is unconstitutional. The system might indeed be unfair, but sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

KMT Parliament speaker Wang Jin-pying [in my view, rightly] called the DPP move "hilarious."

It looks like a desperate, sore-loser strategy to me. And I sympathize with the DPP!

2 comments:

Raj said...

I agree - bad call by the DPP.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.